Click on this line to receive Dr. Clark's free Wellness Resources emails; scroll down once you land on my home page and find
the sign-up form.
Self-Care for Cataracts
1. Use more spices and more often.
The following have been researched extensively for their ability to prevent and ameliorate cataracts, cancer, diabetes, and
turmeric/curcumin, clove/eugenol, red pepper/capsaicin, black pepper/piperine, ginger/gingerol,
garlic, onion, and fenugreek. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24188307)
2. Eat foods high in vitamins B, C, and A, including red peppers, brown rice, citrus fruits
and berries, and carrots. Taking a good multi-vitamin may also be beneficial. (Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23811609; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23420353)
3. Daily eat yellow and orange foods, including yellow or orange color to various common foods such
as cantaloupe, pasta, corn, carrots, orange/yellow peppers, fish, salmon and eggs. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23571649
4. 3 servings (1/2 cup each serving) of vegetables and red beans every day can reduce risk of getting cataracts.
5. Get enough folic acid (a b-vitamin) and try to get off high blood pressure medication as it is associated
with cataracts, especially in older men. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21437563
Eat more of these to get folate: sunflower seeds, chicken, green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale,
mushrooms, split peas, salmon, tuna, wheatgerm. dates, baked and black beans.
If you're overweight, lose weight
and exercise regularly and you probably won't need a blood pressure medication. Talk to your health care professional
about losing weight and exercising instead of taking medication.
6. Stop eating meat (it increases your risk
of getting cataracts) and increase your intake of vegetables and fruits. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21430115
7. A supplement containing A,C,E, and zinc in combination with 5 servings (1/2 cup cooked each) a
day of green, yellow and orange vegetables including eggs, spinach, kale, turnip greens, collards, broccoli, zucchini,
Swiss chard, green peas, Brussels sprouts may help prevent cataracts. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20829640